Re: back at trying to make network, network

On 6/16/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
> My home network is all hosts based, but has a gateway and uses the router
> as a relay to my ISP's nameservers for addresses not in the hosts file.
>
> But I'll be switched if I can make it work that way on a pi-3b running
> stretch.
>
> When it needs to use a dns lookup, it sends the dns request from
> picnc.local, which is of course the ahahi address, 169.254.etc.etc
>
> Somehow, I need to convince this thing it only has one address!!!
> My current /e/n/i.d/eth0 file:
> -------------
> auto eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.71.12/24
> gatewasy 192.168.71.1
> dns-nameserver 192.168.71.1
> search hosts dns-nameserver
> hwadress  192.168.71.12
> --------------
> adding the hwaddress just now, and restarting networking did get rid of
> the ahahi supplied lines in an ip a report so it looks like this but now
> a second request shows they are back.

Hi, Gene.. Did you copy-and-paste that entry, or did you manually type
it up? The "gatewasy" line is why I ask.

You said you just now added "hwadress" so it wouldn't be the previous
problem, but it also looks like it might need another "d"? That's
again unless you manually typed that block up that way, but in
reality, it's all correctly spelled in the original file..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *