Re: Debian Installer on Pine64+ (no serial console)

On 2019-05-04, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 04 mai 19, 06:57:43, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>>
>> I'm ready to start a second try where I will be using manual
>> partitioning (without GPT), hoping I will get a bootable system.
>
> This worked, see
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/PINE64/PINEA64

Thanks for the wiki page!

It's definitely frustrating that sunxi64 installs the bootloader and
boot firmware at an offset incompatible with GPT partitioning... I've
heard there might hacks to set up a compatible GPT partition table, but
the defaults are definitely incompatible. :/

The device-tree included with u-boot is what's used by the
debian-installer images in conjunction with the EFI .iso, but I usually
find things more reliable to use the .dtb included with the
kernel. Occasionally the inverse is true; it really depends on your
u-boot version + kernel combination... which is unfortunate.

I've been meaning to create SD images for arm64 in debian-installer like
you do in the wiki page, but haven't had a chance to do so and it's
arguably a bit late in the release cycle for buster... but maybe not too
bad; much of the code from the armhf SD images could probably be
re-used.

I did backport some device-tree patches to 4.19.x to get framebuffer
video for pinebook, but never tested HDMI on the pine64. Glad to hear
it's working ok! I should test it myself sometime... I'm running two
early-generation pine64+ boards in the reproducible builds test
framework as headless machines, and have another I boot occasionally to
test.

The sound modules should be included in the next linux 5.x upload:

  https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/commit/0e9aed9c58417946afb74607dfa3da2ed20699a3

The really important A64 timer issue fix finally went in 4.19.28-1,
without which the clock would occasionally leap 90+ extra years into the
future and find yourself experiencing all sorts of stability problems:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

live well,
  vagrant