Re: Fixing stretch debian-installer on armhf

Hi,

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> (2019-03-06):
> Even rebuilding the debian-installer images, while pulling in a
> working kernel that would boot, debian-installer would load .udeb
> modules from stretch, not stretch-updates. This might be ok for
> hd-media targets or targets that do not load module .udeb files from
> the network, but netboot targets are not likely to work at all.

To clarify, from an earlier IRC conversations (#-boot yesterday,
#-kernel a couple of days ago): we're mostly considering rebuilding
src:debian-installer, not respinning ISO images (those don't seem to
be in widespread use in the arm* world).

> So some of the options at the moment appear to be:
>
> * Wait for another point release, rebuild debian-installer, leaving
>   debian-installer on armhf broken until then. How long till the next
>   point release?

This wasn't confirmed yet but April 27 seems to be the front runner at
this stage.

> * Rebuild the debian-installer images, pulling in updates from
>   stretch-updates, leaving only armhf netboot targets broken.

Expanding a bit: rebuilding src:debian-installer from the stretch
branch, which has s-p-u enabled, would fetch the fixed kernel and a
couple of its udebs, at build time; the resulting netboot images
wouldn't know about s-p-u though at run time, and would try to load
udebs from stretch. Even if we were to have some kind of support for
could help), that would only be an option until a new linux is accepted
into s-p-u.

Finally, for completeness, there's no specific suppport regarding
stretch-updates; we pull stuff from a given suite and optionally from
$suite-p-u; of course, we could still switch from s-p-u to s-u for one
particular upload…

> * Another point release with the kernel update sooner than planned,
>   and rebuild debian-installer images.

This was brought up on #-kernel and it didn't spark joy (lots of teams
need to be around for a point release)…

Cheers,