Re: Does ARMEL toolchain include NEON support?
- To: Jeffrey Walton <email@example.com>
- Cc: ARM <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Does ARMEL toolchain include NEON support?
- From: Steve McIntyre <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 17:29:14 +0000
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20190303172914.GN1651@tack.einval.com>
- In-reply-to: <CAH8yC8mtjiir+M7T6irq+AOTGwR8qdb5Lj8bgsppHX-v9ySm6A@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <CAH8yC8k+189UxZmZ2SGBQTPi0TWTR2Rbi8TfBvN-TQ08yQEVfA@mail.gmail.com> <20190227210106.GB1651@tack.einval.com> <CAH8yC8k2Ez3VG8b4Ubd0Bq-XJ7JYuypJac7uTGs2wZBGKyD2bA@mail.gmail.com> <20190227224547.GC1651@tack.einval.com> <CAH8yC8==i3pJ4XXoinbVGEH_i__JHmDonHsMpTkes05rap2QNg@mail.gmail.com> <20190227234503.GD1651@tack.einval.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CAH8yC8mtjiir+M7T6irq+AOTGwR8qdb5Lj8bgsppHX-v9ySm6A@mail.gmail.com>
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 01:36:33PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 1:18 PM Wookey <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On 2019-02-28 09:05 +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> > To spell it out: the gist of this is that it isn't possible to provide
>> > a single arm binary which works well for both armel and armhf (which I
>> > think is what Jeff is trying/wants to do?).
>> Just to clarify: it's not possible to built a binary which works at
>> all on both armel and armhf. They are different ABIs ('architectures'
>> in Debian terminaology). Modulo things like qemu emulation or other
>> very carefully constructed binaries a binary is one ABI or the other,
>> working together with others on that basis. There are then separate
>> questions of what base ISA (instruction set) it is built to (v5, v7),
>> and to what degree it requires/supports optional features of the
>> hardware/ABI (neon, fpu, maverick etc).
>Forgive my ignorance...
>Is it possible to support both at a project's ABI level in C/C++ by
>avoiding floats and doubles in function signatures?
Basically, no. The toolchains are set up to explicitly set flags to
state which ABI a binary is targeting. It's not possible to say
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. email@example.com
"This dress doesn't reverse." -- Alden Spiess