Re: Does ARMEL toolchain include NEON support?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:30:36PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 5:46 PM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>
>> So, I've got to ask - what hardware are you likely targeting here
>> where it matters to build stuff for armel yet also use NEON if it's
>> available? Most people with hardware that *can* do NEON should be
>> using armhf, surely?
>
>Yeah, I know what you are saying.
>
>The problem in practice with mainstream compilers is (1) ARM and the
>ACLE defines are a mess, (2) -march=native does not work like on i686
>or x86_64, and (3) RTFM does not work.
>
>For a regular user who wants to use Debian on ARM we need to figure
>out how to build to the least capable machine (like ARMv5 or ARMv6)
>while making more capable features (like NEON) available.

So this is a place where the world is just *different* compared to x86
- the different versions of the ARM architectures have signficantly
different capabilities. If you're looking to build something that
performs well on a modern v7 CPU, compilling for v5 is a
mistake. You'll be using the wrong locking primitives, barriers,
etc. Equally, the features you're going to be looking for (like SMP,
NEON) just don't make sense / don't exist on v5 CPUs.

>User's don't want to RTFM to figure out what compiler switches to use.
>They just want things to work. The compilers don't make it any easier
>because -march=native does not work on ARM.

It's a much wider world out there. :-/

>So the use case we target is, user want the most from their hardware
>without reading the manual to configure properly. That means we have
>to go through extra gyrations when building.
>
>(I know we bring it on ourselves. We could easily say fuck it - the
>user did not bother to read a man page so its the user's problem. But
>I'm in the camp that common cases should just work for folks. Folks
>should not need to read a manual to make the common case work).

Agreed. But it might not actually be *possible* to do some of the
optimisation stuff you're looking at, depending on the CPUs
involved. This is basically one of the reasons we started the armhf
port - it's a higher baseline that makes more sense for modern ARMv7
CPUs, while still making it possible for people to use the older ARMv5
cores out there.

"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works
 anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped."
   -― Andy Weir, "The Martian"