Re: Does ARMEL toolchain include NEON support?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 02:16:46PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I'm investigating a failed build for ARMEL. I don't have access to the
>build machine so I have to study the logs or ask our package
>maintainer to run commands for us.
>
>The build log is at
>https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=libcrypto%2B%2B&suite=experimental
>(package) and https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libcrypto%2B%2B&arch=armel&ver=8.1.0-1&stamp=1551251751&raw=0
>(ARMEL).
>
>We have tried to use -mfpu=neon and -mfloat-abi=softfp or
>-mfloat-abi=hard for the NEON specific files but both produce compile
>failures. "NEON specific files" are ones with the name *_simd.cpp,
>like aria_simd.cpp.
>
>I test the build locally with about 6 ARM dev-boards and have not
>encountered the problem. However, all of the dev-board are hard float
>machines.

OK. In your build log I can see

n file included from aria_simd.cpp:19:
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/8/include/arm_neon.h:31:2: error: #error "NEON intrinsics not available with the soft-float ABI.  Please use -mfloat-abi=softfp or -mfloat-abi=hard"
 #error "NEON intrinsics not available with the soft-float ABI.  Please use -mfloat-abi=softfp or -mfloat-abi=hard"

What errors do you get if you try -mfloat-abi=softfp (etc.)?

To be able to use NEON support you may also have to specify a CPU/FPU
combination that includes it - the default armel setup it for ARMv5
which is not going to help you.

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Das Mohapatra