Re: Stretch ARM installation RAM and Flash size

>> Thanks Joonas. It is going to run the C++ program on NXP i.MX-6ULZ
>> ARMv7,  the application is running on about  5MB RAM, I think RAM
>> looks fine. The boost and other C++ system libraries about 6 MB, the
>> program self is not too large, about 2 MB libraries and 500 KB binary
>> application, I need to know the OS Debian Stretch armhf size.
> I would be impressed by a Debian install in less than 250MB storage space.
> It would have to be rather minimal.  Even running apt-get update to
> pull the list of available packages easily grabs 40MB disk space in
> my experience.

I used to have a small USB flash drive with a minimal Debian install on
it for rescue purposes (using a jffs2 filesystem for compression) and
I know it fit comfortably in a 512MB flash drive (even accounting for
GCC and friends to compile some kernel modules), I think I even managed
to make it fit in a 256MB flash.  But without compression, I think
you're looking at a minimum of 400-500MB of disk space.  If you need
less, you're going to work harder to try and save a bit of space here
and there.  Another way to put it, is that if you need less you might be
better off looking at other distributions like LEDE.

        Stefan

The /var/lib/apt/lists/ and /var/cache were kept on tmpfs and I used
a few other tricks like `localepurge` (doing by hand, tho, because the
package didn't exist then).