Re: Upcoming Qt switch to OpenGL ES on arm64

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 6:47 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Monday 26 November 2018 22:04:04 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
> >
> > <perezmeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So: what's the best outcome for our *current* users? Again, pick
> > > only one.
> >
> > here's a perspective that may not have been considered: how much
> > influence and effect on purchasing decisions would the choice made
> > have?
> >
> > we know that proprietary embedded GPUs and associated proprietary
> > software are not just unethical, and cause huge problems, they also
> > hurt company profits and cause increases in support costs.
>
> If they choose to support it, I've found most are in it for the initial
> sale, and its up to you to make it do useful work. This seems to be the
> case with the rock64's, Odroids and such, very close to zero support,

 the odroids, i know they're a very small team in korea: you cannot
expect "support".   the contract: you bought the hardware, therefore
you know what you're doing.

rock64, that's TL Lim's baby: he's doing a hell of a lot of work
behind the scenes to get GPL compliance from Allwinner and much more.
 TL's team do the best they can by providing forums for people to use
and to support each other.

 ultimately, though, if you've the money (if you place an order for
10k units for example), that will get their immediate attention.  if
not... then, well, the reality is: every "support" call or email or
forum message answered is profit lost.

 that's just how it is.  you want better, be prepared to pay the money.

> Pi's are buckets better,

 better.... because the GPU is proprietary and Broadcom should be
financially supported and we should all buy their products, thus
keeping them in business and sustaining and endorsing Broadcom's
unethical practices?

 and, because they are "better", debian should also prioritise
supporting Broadcom's unethical practices by making a
mutually-exclusive decision that chops off alternatives that *are*
libre?

 ... you see how that works?  the wrong decision here, debian gets to
completely destroy what is already a fragile ecosystem, just for
"convenience".

l.