Re: Is there a way to make the pi use swap?

My /etc/fstab just has
 /var/swap2 none swap sw 0 0
That's for a swap file which was made by dding 0s into it, then running mkswap.

You'd replace /var/swap2 with /dev/sda2

Sounds like you're just not loading it from your fstab.  Should load
every boot.  Nothing new or tricky there.

On 9/14/18, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> As I attempt to go beyond the original setup on the pi 3b, which was to
> run linuxcnc on it.
>
> But since it has 1/2 its cpu power left over, I am finding the lack of
> memory to be a pita. Starting a camera application so I can calibrate
> out the errors in the lathes mechanics then kills other services like
> ssh, or even the whole thing so bad it needs a powerdown reboot.
>
> I have a couple ssd's mounted each with a couple gigs of swap, but the pi
> isn't using them, at least not as expected.
>
> What would be the chain of things to check and adjust so it does use the
> available swap?  There is a 10Gb defined in the /etc/fstab, on partition
> sda2, one of the 2 ssd's plugged into a usb hub.
>
> If swapon -a is run, I can see 999megs of swap in htop, which goes away
> after a swapoff -a, both of course as sudo root.
>
> Thanks for any clues.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach