Re: armel/armhf arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concernsj

On 18/08/18 11:01, Roger Shimizu wrote:
On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Hideki Yamane <henrich@iijmio-mail.jp> wrote:
Hi,

So it'll be super great if you (or your boss) can kindly sponsor some
armel/armhf hardwares that support to install 4GB memory.
  From DebConf18 seesion "Building a Debian Derivative: Lessons Learned
  and Solutions Found" by Alex Doyle from Cumulus Network, they run
  "Jessie on Chromebook" as armel build server
  https://youtu.be/OPsfX5_YCiQ?t=14m39s
Thanks for your info!

  Maybe we can do same thing for armel, it'd be better than using old
  NAS with larger memory (I know we're trying to build armel/hf packages
  on arm64 but just a FYI).
Yes. In latest ARM BoF of DebConf18, Steve (93sam) informed us that
he's trying to rebuild all the armhf archive on arm64 box.
When that's done, we will get to know how many packages need to fix.
If the number of those packages is limited and can be fixed before
buster, we can choose this way for both armhf and armel.
But if the number is huge that we don't have enough manpower to fix,
we need to find real machine (such as rack-mounted armhf/armel NAS
box) to work as buildd.
Personal opinion but (as a derivative maintainer) I really think
DSA are being unreasonable here. A buildd does not need to be
some critical 100% uptime server, if it occasionally goes down
to the point where it can't be recovered remotely then so be it.

Arm ports aside I don't think having "server class" hardware
available should be a blocker for getting or maintaining a port
in Debian. It never has been in the past and I don't see what
has changed now.

And I think with a serial console and remote power most issues
can be resolved remotely. We have been running wandboard
quads for raspbian for years and I have never hard a situation
I couldn't get out of with remote power and serial console.

On the subject of building on arm64 hardware we now do this
for some of our builds in raspbian. It *mostly* works but we
do see some testsuite failures that we don't see on the
wandboards (otoh we have some testsuites that pass on the
arm64 box but not the wandboards, go figure) and I have
also been having a build hang with rust recently, but other
than that I haven't noticed any prblems.