RockChip (and possibly others) broken static IP

A few days ago Gene Heskett was complaining that his RockChip-based board was refusing to pick up a gateway address defined statically in /e/n/interfaces or /e/n/interfaces.d. I just thought I'd confirm that I can also see that on a (RockChip-based) Tinkerboard, although I've not seen it on a Raspberry Pi or a PC.

My suspicion is that the boards that Gene and I are using have a "common ancestor" rather closer than the Debian masters, and that this has introduced questionable configuration.

What appears to be happening is that both dhcpcd and NetworkManager are being started by systemd, and while NetworkManager can be relied on to leave interfaces mentioned in /e/n/interfaces alone it appears that dhcpcd is nowhere near as well-behaved.

I'm unsure about the side-effects of this, but for the sake of getting things to a testable state dhcpcd can be disabled using something like

# systemctl stop dhcpcd
# systemctl disable dhcpcd
# systemctl mask dhcpcd

That restores things to the "classic Debian" state where /e/n/interfaces is obeyed, but where NetworkManager will try to handle any interfaces that are not explicitly listed (in particular WiFi).

If one doesn't want NetworkManager, then it can be disabled in a similar fashion. I'd suggest not trying to uninstall it.

It's possible to configure dhcpcd to ignore certain types of interface, but I can't see a way to tell it not to try to preempt /e/n/interfaces. However this is by no means the first time that I've found inconsistencies in this area.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk