Re: ODROID XU4 and UEFI - Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

so we still talking about the xu4

Quoting Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-arm@telemetry.co.uk>:

On 27/07/18 01:15, Brian Sammon wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:57:09 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

The only possible mention is at
<https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20593>

Which links to https://fredericb.info/2016/10/amlogic-s905-soc-bypassing-not-so.html which is particularly interesting.

Also, it's my understanding that this problem exists with nearly all of these pocket-computer/fruit-pi devices to some degree or other -- to the point that it's a shorter list of the devices that don't have this problem than a list of the devices that do. (Anyone know of such a list?)

I think the real question is whether to countenance something that has a boot loader in Flash which can be (intentionally or otherwise) overwritten (link here is interesting since it gives a memory layout http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_partition_table ) or whether to prefer something in ROM (which is what the RPi has).

The robustness of the ROM approach has a lot going for it, but it can cause a Hell of a problem if either it contains a hardware-initialisation bug (which might be the cause of some issues I'm currently exploring) or if it leaves the hardware in an operating state which the device's owner considers unacceptable (e.g. one that requires a signed kernel).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk