Re: ODROID XU4 and UEFI - Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:57:09 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 July 2018 15:25:18 Brian Sammon wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 06:04:01 -0400
> >
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > > They acknowledged it, and told me how to fix it, but the fix cost
> > > more than the odroid, a jtag programmer and a special cable that
> > > cost well over $125 is required.  And someone else recently advised
> > > me that UEFI bypassing in the bios was only legal on x86 stuffs. If
> > > thats so, I'd

> > > The only possible mention is at
> > > <https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20593>
> >
> > If we overlook the fact that that thread is about the ODROID C2 and
> > not the XU4, there's still the problem that it makes no mention of
> > UEFI.
> >
> I just went out and excavated it from a pile of junk on the table saw,
> and you are correct, it is a C2. My mistake. When I went to their site,
> I didn't think the pix of the XU4 was quite right, and should have dug
> it out then. Its a C2, rev 0.2 20160226, so its pretty old now.

Okay, yeah -- an ODROID C2 -- that's the model that I have, and I'm pretty confident that it DOESN'T have UEFI.

Apparently it has some kind of binary-only bootloader stuff that you ran afoul of in some unclear-from-your-postings way.

I can understand being opposed to this in a matter-of-principle kind of way -- those of us who are should consider supporting the FSF and/or projects like EOMA68 (https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68 )

However, there's a number of practical workarounds that are only mildly annoyingly convoluted that enable you to run any kernel you want (or any kernel that has sufficient driver support).

Also, it's my understanding that this problem exists with nearly all of these pocket-computer/fruit-pi devices to some degree or other -- to the point that it's a shorter list of the devices that don't have this problem than a list of the devices that do.  (Anyone know of such a list?)