Re: ODROID XU4 and UEFI - Re: Cautionary tale: how to kill an SDCard with one simple command

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 06:04:01 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> They acknowledged it, and told me how to fix it, but the fix cost more
> than the odroid, a jtag programmer and a special cable that cost well
> over $125 is required.  And someone else recently advised me that UEFI
> bypassing in the bios was only legal on x86 stuffs. If thats so, I'd
> The only possible mention is at
> <https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20593>

If we overlook the fact that that thread is about the ODROID C2 and not the XU4, there's still the problem that it makes no mention of UEFI.

It mentions a binary-only freedom-restricting firmware piece that ISN'T  uefi.  Which doesn't mean that there isn't UEFI on it, but that thread doesn't mention it.

I would expect that if the XU4 had a UEFI, there would be information (somewhere) about using EFI-supporting bootloaders on it, like grub-efi or refind.

Are you sure that you're using the right term (UEFI) here to describe your problem?

If ODROID is selling a ethically-questionable (or user-hostile) piece of hardware, the case against them is not helped by wrong/misleading terminology.

And as a past and potentially future customer of ODROID, I'd like to have an accurate understanding of this before I make future purchasing(/boycott) decisions.