Re: Can't bring up the network

On 07/06/18 16:00, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
A little background.  I have Debian-arm 3.2.0-4-vexpress running under QEMU.  This has been working fine, but in serious need of an upgrade. So I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.  This resulted in a long process of updating packages.

Unfortunately, the hosting system crashed while the upgrade was running.  This resulted in some packages which were only partially installed.

In trying to get things back I found the network interface (eth0) did not come back up.  Trying to start it with ifup eth0 results in

Might be worth trying with ifconfig eth0 up or whatever, followed possibly by adding routes manually.

/bin/sh: 1: run-parts: Exec format error
Failed to bring up eth0

Adding --verbose gives

run-parts --exit-on-error --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
/bin/sh: 1: run-parts: Exec format error
Failed to bring up eth0

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d is empty, which is what I suspect is the cause of the problem.  However, I don't know what should be in there on this system - or what package is supposed to install it.  QEMU is emulating a standard ethernet port (not wifi).  Other systems I have installed use wifi, so will (obviously) have something different in here.

Looking at a couple of fairly clean systems here, that directory contains either a vlan script or a wpasupplicant symlink. In at least one case the script is rigged to return 0 if the prerequisite executable doesn't exist... you could try creating something like vlan owned root:root mode 755 containing a shebang and exit 0, but TBH I think it's more likely that some prerequisite library's screwed.

Sorry I can't be more help but I'm comparatively unpracticed at "The Debian Way": I'm a refugee from Yggdrassil and they say you never forget your first distro :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk