Can't bring up the network

A little background. I have Debian-arm 3.2.0-4-vexpress running under QEMU. This has been working fine, but in serious need of an upgrade. So I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. This resulted in a long process of updating packages.

Unfortunately, the hosting system crashed while the upgrade was running. This resulted in some packages which were only partially installed.

In trying to get things back I found the network interface (eth0) did not come back up. Trying to start it with ifup eth0 results in

/bin/sh: 1: run-parts: Exec format error
Failed to bring up eth0

Adding --verbose gives

run-parts --exit-on-error --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
/bin/sh: 1: run-parts: Exec format error
Failed to bring up eth0

/etc/network/if-pre-up.d is empty, which is what I suspect is the cause of the problem. However, I don't know what should be in there on this system - or what package is supposed to install it. QEMU is emulating a standard ethernet port (not wifi). Other systems I have installed use wifi, so will (obviously) have something different in here.

The problem is, I'm a programmer, Jim, not a Unix Administrator. I could use any suggestions someone might have.

And once this gets fixed I can try to correct the other problems created by the aborted upgrade.

TIA.

Jerry