Re: aptitude is blowing up again.

On Sun, 04 Feb 2018, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 February 2018 23:27:11 Paul Wise wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > It turns that I am not supposed to be running aptitude as root.
>>
>> If you want it to make changes to the system you must run it as root.
>>
>> > but my sudo password doesn't give me root permissions
>> > when its time to actually do something.
>>
>> That seems quite unlikely, what error message does it give?
>
> Says its not root's pw.

It seems that it's running su not sudo, and hence is expecting root's
password, rather than your password.

As someone who uses apt (or apt-get on older systems) running as root,
I'm afraid I've no idea what might entice aptitude to choose su vs. sudo
in this case, sorry.

Running aptitude as root from the start is fine though.

Cheers, Phil.