Re: aptitude is blowing up again.

On Saturday 03 February 2018 11:46:48 Gene Heskett wrote:

> greetings all;
>
> I very carefully selected  docs, x11, kde and xfce to be installed on
> this rock64. That was something over 2000 packages when I hit the g.
> There was a bare jessie image, a little under 3.5 GB on the sdcard at
> that point, around 20:00 last night. 32GB sdcard. aptitude just keeps
> selecting previously unselected stuff, that sdcard is now at 80%,
> working extremely slowly and apparently nowhere near done. I suspect
> it will die, out of disk space, perhaps next Wednesday at 3 AM, if I
> don't unplug it first.
>
> rock64@rock64:~$ df
> Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mmcblk1p7  30299144 23181512   5846304  80% /
>
> htop, on a separate login screen says its not any sort of resource
> constrained and is not using any swap. All of its ncurses gfx have
> disappeared, and I am looking at dpkg output in my login shell as it
> seems bound and determined to install the whole debian arm64 repo for
> jessie. And it has not yet installed synaptic-pkexec.
>
> So how _do_ you control this application?
>
> I'm at this point, ready to re-write that image to a 64GB sdcard, and
> spend days using apt to pull stuff I need in one package at a time. I
> know you cannot remove a package with it, because its interpretation
> of dependencies will leave you with an unbootable, destroyed system.
> Its done that to me several times already.
>
> So when do we get a default, just works, does _only_ what you ask it
> to, text/ncurses based package manager with a bare bones arm64
> install? Something you can actually build a working system with?
>
> Sigh.
>
> While I am up on my soapbox about this, that set of html docs on
> aptitude someone pointed me at, is that available in a printable pdf?
> Link plz if it is.
>
> Thanks.

excedrin headache #9171

It turns that I am not supposed to be running aptitude as root. I can
live with that, but my sudo password doesn't give me root permissions
when its time to actually do something.

WTF?

I've another sdcard with a fresh minimal jessie on it, a 64GB, maybe that
will give me a little room to play. But I'll damn sure figure out a way
to do it without aptitude.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)