Re: aptitude is blowing up again.

On Saturday 03 February 2018 21:04:40 Paul Wise wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 12:46 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I know you cannot remove a package with it, because its
> > interpretation of dependencies will leave you with an unbootable,
> > destroyed system. Its done that to me several times already.
>
> I remove packages with aptitude all the time and have no problem with
> that. You can remove packages with apt if aptitude isn't working for
> you.
>
> > So when do we get a default, just works, does _only_ what you ask it
> > to, text/ncurses based package manager with a bare bones arm64
> > install? Something you can actually build a working system with?
>
> For me, aptitude is exactly that, except I have no arm64 hardware, but
> aptitude isn't any different on different architectures, except it is
> of course slower on slower disks and CPUs.
>
> I think you might be better suited by a few things:
>
> Choose one environment instead of two.
>
> Use a light-weight WM like openbox instead of a desktop.
>
> Turn off recommends in your apt configuration to reduce the size of
> the image.
>
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99recommends:
> APT::Install-Recommends "false";
>
> Build the rootfs on a fast SSD/HD (or tmpfs if you have enough RAM)
> with a fast CPU. One way would be on amd64 using qemu-debootstrap from
> qemu-user-static and then write the completed rootfs to your SD card.
>
> Start with the --variant=minbase option for debootstrap to ensure only
> the minimal is initially installed.
>
> > While I am up on my soapbox about this, that set of html docs on
> > aptitude someone pointed me at, is that available in a printable
> > pdf? Link plz if it is.
>
> Doesn't look like it. You could file a bug against aptitude-doc-en.
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#aptitude
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/aptitude-doc-en/filelist

I am already 83, I'd like to have a usable copy while I'm still regularly
sucking air...

I have another 64GB card prepared. I'll go put it in, fix the networking,
and use apt to pull in what I want, one package and its dependencies at
a time.

Except I had to let gparted "fix" some bad partition table entries. then
had to haul it back for yet another session to get the rock64 to
recognize it as a 59GB card.

Got that fixed, but now I've a mistake someplace in the network setup so
while its getting the correct address, its is not putting a UG entry in
the route -n output.

/etc/resolv.conf is a real file. contains:
domain foo.bar
nameserver 192.168.xx.1
search hosts nameserver

/etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0 contains:
auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.xx.2/24
gateway 192.168.xx.1

ifoot@rock64:~# ifquery eth0
address: 192.168.xx.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.xx.1
broadcast: 192.168.xx.255
query eth0 returns the correct data, including the gateway address

but a route -n has no UG line.
oot@rock64:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway     Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0         U     202    0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0     255.255.0.0     U     202    0        0 eth0
192.168.xx.0    0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

I would also add that this exact same configuration Just Works on an
sdcard with a bare bones jessie image on it. Studying the man for route,
I have not been able to get past an error with a line that should add a
gateway address. Example, probably incorrect:
root@rock64:~# route add -net GW 192.168.71.1 eth0
GW: No address associated with name

Clues? Or is route broken?

--