Re: Fwd: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well

Hello Rogério,

On 12/13/2017 02:35 AM, Rogério Brito wrote:
> I would like to find a substitute to my KuroBox Pro, which is an armel-based
> NAS.  Here is its summary:
>
> * An Orion processor running at 400MHz
> * 128MB of RAM
> * a slot for one 3.5" SATA HDD
> * gigabit ethernet
> * 2 USB 2.0 ports
>
> That's essentially it. It works running Linux without *any* binary blob and
> it is supported by the upstream Linux kernel.
>
> Unfortunately, Debian is starting to show that it is old. In particular,
> there is constant swapping when serving my video collection via DLNA
> (minidlna) and the kernel has even found some problems allocating memory for
> the network device. :-( Besides DLNA, I intend to use it as an NFS and Samba
> server. If I can run a printer spooler, then that will be nice, but it's not
> required.
>
> I still intend to keep running it while I don't find a replacement for it,
> but I would love to find something that is robust, that can run Debian and
> that has low power consumption.
>
> I don't care so much if I have to use some binary blobs, as long as the blob
> is purely firmware (e.g., if the NAS needed something from the firmware-*
> packages, I'd be OK with that), it is fully supported by Debian, and I can
> recompile things if something in Debian stops working.
>
> Is there anything similar to what I described above and that is a bit more
> powerful? I don't particularly care what architecture it runs.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS 104 running here. It's little brother ReadyNAS
102 might be suitable. It is not completely blobfree: The bootloader
shipped on that machine has a blob for RAM initialization. Mainline
U-Boot could handle that. I didn't check the updates shipped by Netgear,
but I'd be surprised if they dropped the blob.

The 102 has 512 MiB RAM, 2x 3.5" bay, 1x eSATA, 1x GBit eth, 1x usb2, 2x
usb3. (Compared to that, the 104 has 4 bays, 2x eth and a display (that
is unsupported in mainline linux).)

Note the newer ReadyNAS 21x have a different processor that last time I
checked didn't have mainline Linux support.

Best regards
Uwe