From: Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
Date: Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:29 AM
Subject: Looking for a small NAS that runs Debian well
To: debian-arm@lists.debian.org

Dear people,

I would like to find a substitute to my KuroBox Pro, which is an armel-based
NAS.  Here is its summary:

* An Orion processor running at 400MHz
* 128MB of RAM
* a slot for one 3.5" SATA HDD
* gigabit ethernet
* 2 USB 2.0 ports

That's essentially it. It works running Linux without *any* binary blob and
it is supported by the upstream Linux kernel.

Unfortunately, Debian is starting to show that it is old. In particular,
there is constant swapping when serving my video collection via DLNA
(minidlna) and the kernel has even found some problems allocating memory for
the network device. :-( Besides DLNA, I intend to use it as an NFS and Samba
server. If I can run a printer spooler, then that will be nice, but it's not
required.

I still intend to keep running it while I don't find a replacement for it,
but I would love to find something that is robust, that can run Debian and
that has low power consumption.

I don't care so much if I have to use some binary blobs, as long as the blob
is purely firmware (e.g., if the NAS needed something from the firmware-*
packages, I'd be OK with that), it is fully supported by Debian, and I can
recompile things if something in Debian stops working.

Is there anything similar to what I described above and that is a bit more
powerful? I don't particularly care what architecture it runs.

Thanks in advance,

Rogério.

P.S.: Please CC me on replies, as I am not currently subscribed to the
mailing list.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito