Re: 0ad FTBFS on arm64: help expected

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 02:49:57PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>On 11/29/2017 02:36 PM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
>> I am the new Debian maintainer of 0ad (a video game).
>> Since 0ad version alpha 22 (0.0.22 in Debian) the software fails to build on arm64.
>> The build logs are at https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=0ad&arch=arm64&ver=0.0.22-1&stamp=1508351579&raw=0
>>
>> The build error is related to mozjs-38.0.0 patched and embedded in 0ad:
>
>mozjs is a security-relevant library. It shouldn't be embedded into 0ad. Rather,
>you should link against any of the mozjs versions packaged and available in
>Debian. The security team will certainly not be happy about your embedded copy
>of a Javascript engine and they might as you to fix this issue or your package
>gets removed from testing.

Nod.

>> I have no time to work on this bug. I am not sure if many people will ever play 0ad on arm64 :-)
>> For now support of arm64 has been removed.
>
>That's not how we usually fix bugs in Debian.

Agreed.

It would be lovely to see some efforts to clean up mess like this in
the javascript world. It takes a lot of effort to port to new
architectures, but due to awful API/ABI practices there are embedded
(out-of-date, buggy and insecure) copies all over the place. :-(

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me