Re: Raising the armel port baseline to armv5te

I’m not sure whether there was actually a realistic chance of finding anyone on the mailing lists when you ask such questions.

I would assume that 99% of our users aren’t present on the mailing lists and usually users will only find out that the hardwares requirements were bumped when they are trying to upgrade their machines to the next stable Debian release.

I also don’t really see what you’re gaining by upgrading the baseline from ARMv4t to ARMv5. It’s essentially an upgrade from ancient to slightly less ancient. I’m still failing to see any advantage in that.

The real difference is only seen when upgrading from ARMv4t to ARMv7 and this already covered by “armhf”. ARMv7 has lock-free atomics in hardware and things like OpenJDK Hotspot and Rust (although Rust also has a v6 port) and probably most other advanced languages require at least ARMv7.

So, what are you actually expecting to gain with this bump? You will still be lacking native ARM support for most things.

Adrian

PS: Sorry for my posting style, I’m on mobile.