Re: all translations for Jessie are 403.

On Thursday 09 November 2017 10:29:06 peter green wrote:

> On 09/11/17 06:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> You will need to be more specific; which sources.list are you
> >> using, what errors are you getting etc.
> >
> > This sources.list:
> > pi@picnc:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> > deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib
> > non-free rpi
> > # Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get
> > source' #deb-src http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main
> > contrib non-free rpi
> >
> > And in /etc/apt/sources.list.d
> > pi@picnc:/etc/apt/sources.list.d $ cat raspi.list
> > deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie main ui
> > # Uncomment line below then 'apt-get update' to enable 'apt-get
> > source' #deb-src http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie main
> > ui
> >
> > And
> > pi@picnc:/etc/apt/sources.list.d $ cat linuxcnc-buildbot.list
> > #deb            http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim
> > #deb-src        http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim
> > deb     http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie master-sim
> >
> > Just now its upgrading about 8 or 9 files but isn't fussing about
> > translations. Its not doing the kernel because its a special kernel
> > I have pinned.
> >
> > And as I said, apparently all the translations are missing.
> >
> > And tonight, because you asked for the errors, it all worked on the
> > rpi3. And thats the only jessie install.  Go figure. But then I was
> > running apt over an ssh login. Not synaptic because some "genius"
> > has set up a security rule someplace I haven't yet found and nuked
> > that keeps me from running synaptic-pkexec over an ssh -Y session.
>
> What puzzles me is I don't think raspbian has ever shipped
> translations, so I wonder what has changed recently.

Well, they have been keeping jessie up to date. But since theres no
stretch stuff yet, I'm getting the impression raspbian may turn out to
be a one hit wonder. I've got the rock64 hooked up and theres at least
as much activity in the stretch version on it. But its not set to
autoboot on power restoration, so I was not aware it was on the missing
list when I came in for the night last night.  The pi/jessie is on its
own 240 breaker.

I am using one of those miniature ceramic element electric heaters in my
very well insulated garage, and am finding out its extremely sensitive
to conductive dust in the air because of the very limited space the
conductive ceramic blocks occupy between the much larger contacts that
are the finned heat things the fan blows thru. And sitting within reach
of the floats on air alu shavings coming from the milling machine as I
was putting the finishing touches on as clamp ring to lock a 35 lb 8"
lathe chuck on a threaded spindle nose, it sucked in enough of that
stuff to cause a short, blowing a 15 amp breaker, twice, whose load
included the rock64 and another old dell I use to program the mesa fpga
cards with.

Not as it turns out, a good heater for a dirty environment. So if thats
the case, do not buy one of the "ceramic" heaters.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)