Re: odroid hc1 on debian?

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 05:03:19PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> I managed to buy one of the new ordoid hc1 ("home cloud") boards.
>
> While the manufacturer and other 3rd parties like armbian offer
> debian images for it, I wonder:
> what would be necessary to use plain debian with it (unstable
> or testing is fine)?
>
> I read the plain linux kernel works out of the box (no patches
> or firmware blobs), have to verify if the same is true for
> uboot.
>
> The system boots from a microsdhc card.  To "install" it, I
> would write on that card from my amd64 linux desktop with
> debian - I suppose partition header, uboot, and a filesystem
> image is all this needs.  The device has no video output, thus
> an image with sshd and some way to login from remote would be
> preferred.  (The device has a serial 4pin connector, but I
> assume most users won't have the necessary adapter).  Did
> anyone already build a procedure like that?
>
> Does debian have a suggested way for installing such devices?
> dhcp+sshd-remote-login with a default password is common for
> simplicity, but might not meet debians security target.

Debian has a "network-console" variant of the Debian installer
(https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/network-console/),
which allows using the installer over an ssh session.  This makes
installations without a "local" console device (i.e. HDMI or
serial console) possible, but usually just connecting a serial
console cable is the easier option.

According to the datasheet, the Odroid HC1 uses an Exynos-5422
SoC, which I am not familiar with.  The mainline kernel appears
to have general support for this SoC but it appears to lack a
device-tree for the HC1 board.

Another thing that would need checking out is whether the system
can boot with only free software.  I may well be remembering that
wrongly, but I believe to have read somewhere that at least some
older Exynos SoCs couldn't be booted with only free software as
they required a signed proprietary first-stage loader, which
would make providing offical Debian installer SD card images for
this platform impossible due to the necessity of including
non-free code.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der