Re: how to distinguish armel and armhf at runtime?

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 02:08:28AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 09:57:02PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >for the package sparse I have to distinguish armel and armhf. The reason
> >is that sparse parses system headers and so has to know which cpp
> >symbols to define. Usually it uses uname -m to distinguish platforms but
> >that isn't suitable to tell armel and armhf apart.
> >
> >For armhf I need to define __ARM_PCS_VFP but that must be absent on armel.
>
> Right, that makes sense.
>
> >For upstreaming a fix it would be great if the test would not be Debian
> >specific.
>
> That's likely to be difficult - it's perfectly possible to have
> headers etc. for both on a single system with multi-arch (for
> example). It's an ABI choice, not a hardware difference.
>
> What are you trying to work this out for? Package build time?

No, it's for run time. The target is sparse which can parse C and to be
able to handle system includes it needs the right cpp variables defined.

Currently the test suite for sparse makes the package FTBFS on armhf:

	env CHECK=./sparse ./cgcc -no-compile memops.c
	/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gnu/stubs.h:7:12: error: unable to open 'gnu/stubs-soft.h'

The scripts that needs adaption is

	http://sources.debian.net/src/sparse/0.5.0-4/cgcc/#L224

Best regards
Uwe