how to distinguish armel and armhf at runtime?

Hello,

for the package sparse I have to distinguish armel and armhf. The reason
is that sparse parses system headers and so has to know which cpp
symbols to define. Usually it uses uname -m to distinguish platforms but
that isn't suitable to tell armel and armhf apart.

For armhf I need to define __ARM_PCS_VFP but that must be absent on armel.

For upstreaming a fix it would be great if the test would not be Debian
specific.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Uwe