Re: How can I use the r-pi 3b's bluetooth facilities for local keyboard/mouse

On Tuesday 22 August 2017 10:11:56 Alan Corey wrote:

> Oh, it works so well I never use it. :)  But you should be able to
> find or enable a Bluetooth applet that brings up some GUI controls.
> And there are services/daemons as well.  Look for that blue icon at
> bottom left in this GIF, the red X in mine is because it's off.
>
> I had great hopes for it which didn't work out.  There's Bluetooth,
> then there's Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE.  They're like 2 mostly
> incompatible standards.  A few devices can do both.  BLE is radical in
> that it only transmits when there's data to send, unlike WiFi which
> essentially keeps a carrier on all the time.  Play around with
> whatever Android devices you've got as well, the more the merrier.

Not an android gizmo on the property.
I'll go unplug the dongles and come back in here to see what bluetoothctl
can tell me with the mouse laying in the bottom of the cabinet 9 or 10
inches away.

IP see the icon and made it discoverable, and unplugged the hub the
dongles were plugged into. 3 trips out there, with the mouse given some
clicks to make sure it was broadcasting, but nothing new in the "show"
report.  Says it is still discovering.

copy/pasted

bluetooth]# show
Controller 43:43:A1:12:1F:AC
	Name: picnc
	Alias: picnc
	Class: 0x000000
	Powered: yes
	Discoverable: no
	Pairable: yes
	UUID: PnP Information           (00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: Generic Access Profile    (00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: Generic Attribute Profile (00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: A/V Remote Control        (0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	UUID: A/V Remote Control Target (0000110c-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb)
	Modalias: usb:v1D6Bp0246d0517
	Discovering: yes
[bluetooth]# help
Available commands:
  list                       List available controllers
  show [ctrl]                Controller information
  select <ctrl>              Select default controller
  devices                    List available devices
  paired-devices             List paired devices
  power <on/off>             Set controller power
  pairable <on/off>          Set controller pairable mode
  discoverable <on/off>      Set controller discoverable mode
  agent <on/off/capability>  Enable/disable agent with given capability
  default-agent              Set agent as the default one
  scan <on/off>              Scan for devices
  info <dev>                 Device information
  pair <dev>                 Pair with device
  trust <dev>                Trust device
  untrust <dev>              Untrust device
  block <dev>                Block device
  unblock <dev>              Unblock device
  remove <dev>               Remove device
  connect <dev>              Connect device
  disconnect <dev>           Disconnect device
  version                    Display version
  quit                       Quit program
[bluetooth]# info
Missing device address argument
[bluetooth]# info 00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
Device 00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb not available

Humm, It knows about it but doesn't?  But then I don't have a clue
either.

Does anything look familiar to you?
In the meantime I'll go  hook everything back up and reboot till the
keyboard works again.  That takes more than one powerdown reboot
sometimes.

Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)