Re: pi vs swap on flash

On Thursday 13 July 2017 20:43:38 Alan Corey wrote:

> I've got a 2' x 4' sheet of that stuff in the garage, brought it home
> from the dump a few years ago, can't bring myself to cut into it.  But
> good for cases and heat sinks.
>
> I guess the one feature request I'd have for Piclone is that it ignore
> swap partitions, or have an option for more manual control.  Putting
> swap in the middle like you did makes more sense.

piclone, from your description sounds like the cat's meow.  But the only
time I actually got it to run, the pair of 32Gb cards I was using, one
turned out to be a megabyte smaller, and of course it was the target
card, so it crashed out, media full, and the copy wasn't usable. I
haven't been able to even start it since, no permissions or some such
silliness. I even removed it totally, then reinstalled it, still will
not run because it cannot find any src to copy from, nor target to copy
to. Its not worth a damn to me when it thinks its running in a medialess
environment.

What it needs is brains enough to both find the media, and to quit and
clean up when it has copied say 200 megs past the end of the data,
regardless of the capacity of the media.

Etcher from the pine64 website looks about the same, and TBT I am
considering pre-ordering a pair of the rock64's with 4Gb of memory,
$44.95 each, which will start shipping the first of August. Its also
claiming gigabit ethernet and usb3, and a sata adaptor that plugs into
the usb3 port is a $10 bill.

IOW, same  cpu, much better gpu, and apparently lots more I/O bandwidth.

I haven't approached Bertho about it yet, but would send him one of them
to play with if he thinks it would bypass some of the r-pi herpes sores.

More below.

> On 7/13/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 July 2017 16:59:45 Alan Corey wrote:
> >> Well, no, until you boot from the hard drive you're just using the
> >> SD card to work on the hard drive.  I'm not sure what automounting
> >> is happening on your machine, I usually turn it off.  Booted from
> >> the SD, do cd /mnt.  If that's an error you probably don't have
> >> one, so do cd / then mkdir /mnt.
> >>
> >> Next you need to mount each of the 2 partitions on the hard drive
> >> to work on.  First the DOS /boot partition
> >> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> >> then edit /mnt/boot/cmdline.txt which will become /boot/cmdline.txt
> >> then umount /mnt (cd out of it first if you're in it)
> >> and mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
> >> and edit /mnt/etc/fstab which will become your real fstab
> >> umount /mnt
> >>
> >> After that if you shut down and pull the SD it should boot from the
> >> hard drive.  I've used my partition numbers because I don't know
> >> what yours are.  Here sda1 is the DOS partition, sda2 is ext4, sda3
> >> is swap.
> >
> > Whereas this drive is partitioned for /boot=sda1, swap=sda2, and
> > /=sda3
> >
> > but that shouldn't make a huge diff.
> >
> > I should rsync those two partitions before I try this.  Since I
> > won't have the material to mount a scale on the tailstock till next
> > week late, I need some 1/4" alu sheet for that, this might "keep me
> > out of the bars" :)  Thanks Alan.

rsync made a mess ( ignored filesystem diffs and boundaries) I needed a
big mop to clean up, so after the cleanup, I did a directory by
directory copy with the old standby, a root session of mc.

Cheers Alan, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)