Re: pi vs swap on flash

On Thursday 13 July 2017 16:59:45 Alan Corey wrote:

> Well, no, until you boot from the hard drive you're just using the SD
> card to work on the hard drive.  I'm not sure what automounting is
> happening on your machine, I usually turn it off.  Booted from the SD,
> do cd /mnt.  If that's an error you probably don't have one, so do cd
> / then mkdir /mnt.
>
> Next you need to mount each of the 2 partitions on the hard drive to
> work on.  First the DOS /boot partition
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> then edit /mnt/boot/cmdline.txt which will become /boot/cmdline.txt
> then umount /mnt (cd out of it first if you're in it)
> and mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
> and edit /mnt/etc/fstab which will become your real fstab
> umount /mnt
>
> After that if you shut down and pull the SD it should boot from the
> hard drive.  I've used my partition numbers because I don't know what
> yours are.  Here sda1 is the DOS partition, sda2 is ext4, sda3 is
> swap.

Whereas this drive is partitioned for /boot=sda1, swap=sda2, and /=sda3

but that shouldn't make a huge diff.

I should rsync those two partitions before I try this.  Since I won't
have the material to mount a scale on the tailstock till next week late,
I need some 1/4" alu sheet for that, this might "keep me out of the
bars" :)  Thanks Alan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)