Re: pi vs swap on flash

Well, no, until you boot from the hard drive you're just using the SD
card to work on the hard drive.  I'm not sure what automounting is
happening on your machine, I usually turn it off.  Booted from the SD,
do cd /mnt.  If that's an error you probably don't have one, so do cd
/ then mkdir /mnt.

Next you need to mount each of the 2 partitions on the hard drive to
work on.  First the DOS /boot partition
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
then edit /mnt/boot/cmdline.txt which will become /boot/cmdline.txt
then umount /mnt (cd out of it first if you're in it)
and mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
and edit /mnt/etc/fstab which will become your real fstab
umount /mnt

After that if you shut down and pull the SD it should boot from the
hard drive.  I've used my partition numbers because I don't know what
yours are.  Here sda1 is the DOS partition, sda2 is ext4, sda3 is
swap.

On 7/13/17, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2017 12:52:51 Alan Corey wrote:
>
>> Try touch /var/swap so one exists?  Actually I think you're supposed
>> to dd a few gigs from /dev/zero in there.  I just left the swap file
>> alone, the reason being that my swap partition is on the end of the
>> drive which is going to cause head thrashing if it gets used a lot.
>> So some swap space near where everything else is is good.
>>
>> Does your /boot/cmdline.txt still refer to the SD card?
>
> The one on the sd card does not.
>
>> Mine now says
>> root=/dev/sda2 The one on the hard drive that is.

>> > Reading the manpage, I used:
>> > /dev/sda2 none swap sw,defaults
>> > And after a reboot, htop shows swap at 2099 megs. That includes the
>> > 100 meg swapFILE in /var. To turn that off:
>> > sudo dphys-swapfile swapoff
>> > or sudo dphys-swapfile swapon
>> >
>> > I just turned it off. That I think can be put into /etc/rc.local as
>> > it runs as root.  But I can't make that work, without or with a sudo
>> > in front of it. So where can I put it?.
>> >
>> > I turned it off, then removed /var/swap. Won't reboot. WTH? THere
>> > isn't anything in fstab but what I added, and nothing in
>> > /boot/config.txt or cmdline.txt about swap. I can recover, but the
>> > most recent edits in the linuxcnc tree haven't been backed up,
>> > damn!!!!! I'll try a full powerdown before I swap cards to begin the
>> > recovery.

>> > Eggzakly. :)
>> >
>> > Thanks Alan.
>> >

>> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>> > --
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> > Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> +-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach