Re: keyboard config for english UTF-8

On Sunday 21 May 2017 17:53:55 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 21/05/17 21:20, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I just spent 2 hours trying to get std US keyboard response out of
> > PI.
> >
> > The closest I have gotten so far are the correct characters about
> > the numerals on the top row. But I'll be switched if I can get
> > single and double quotes out of the key left of the enter key. I
> > have to hit the key twice for either, but the resultant dots are
> > tiny and for sure aren't recognized as quotes, single or double.
> >
> > ISTR I had to edit a file in the /etc directory to get an
> > english_US-UTF-8 keyboard quite some time back.  And trying to do
> > that with a root session of raspi-config is a waste of everybodies
> > time.
> >
> > So, which side of my mouth am I supposed to be holding a chew of
> > Kentucky Twist to make the raspi-config capable of fixing this
> > CORRECTLY for an en_US-UTF-8 setup. Exactly none of the generic
> > keyboards listed seem to have the desired effect if any.
> >
> > Thanks for any help I can paint on the wall for when I have to
> > build/rebuild another sd card.
>
> Be warned that this might break subsequent use of raspi-config, but
> have you tried either of
>
> dpkg-reconfigure locales
> dpkg-reconfigure console-data

I would, but it seems I forgot to add sshd to the startup sequence.  Port
22 is not accepting logins.  Its been a long day with yard work, so I'll
give it a shot tommorrow.

There is a fleeting error message when raspi-config is exited. But it is
not very verbose, just enough to give me the impression it has no write
perms to a file that does not exist. Or something similar. But no
further clues, such as naming the file. Or better yet, giving us a full
path to the file so we can actually check it out.

Thank you, Mark.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)