Re: question on armhf color depth, now keyboard

On Monday 10 April 2017 15:14:55 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 10 April 2017 14:33:35 Diego Roversi wrote:
>
> Well, I guess I am stuck with it then. Synaptic, on a 24 bit screen,
> is much more pleasant to use.
>
> But I also have another problem. The usb inputs from the mouse and
> keyboard aren't being given near enough priority, so keydown events
> are being ignored, but I can tap the key again. Hundreds of times more
> serious is that key-up events are also ignored, which can leave the
> machine running full tilt in one direction or the other, far enough to
> crash a tool and smash a $30 carbide tool tip into a cajilion pieces,
> not to mention wreck the workpiece being worked on.
>
> I did have a usb extension cord with a 4 port hub on it, and had
> similar problems, but found I could generate a 200 megabyte file in 10
> seconds with usbmon.  Raw noise because the cable wasn't shielded.
> Moved the bt buttons to the sockets on the pi seemed to fix it but was
> only temporary.  usbmon now see's exactly what the keyboard is
> sending, nothing more nor less, but the pi is missing the keystrokes.
> At one point today I was looking at a directories contents, and the
> screen was scrolling rapidly from the enter key, and I had to hit the
> enter key 7 more times to stop the scrolling.
>
> Arriving at a fix for this is far more important than the screens
> color depth.
>
> I am going to reset it for 16 bit depth to see if that helps. The
> behaviour today is intolerable. I cannot edit a config file due to the
> sticky keys effects.

Resetting it to 16 bits helps quite a bit, but doesn't completely
alleviate the problem.

Another thing that might help my poor reflexes in catching it faster, is
if the keyboard auto-repeat could be turned way slower, or even off.
That would be a PITA, but would be better than an endless repeat at a
speed far higher than the screen can be updated.

Is there a facility to adjust that?

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)