Re: flash-kernel failure during apt-get upgrade. Now what?

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 03:12:17PM -0800, Forest wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 22:21:58 +0100, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
>
> >That message is generated in the verify step. So the data that should be
> >written to your device cannot be read back.
>
> Yes, that's what I thought.  My fear is that the flash chip may have gone bad,
> but that would surprise me, since I haven't been writing to it excessively, and
> since both of the mtd devices in question are suddenly showing errors at
> exactly the same time.  (I would expect flash blocks to wear out at different
> times.)  I hope the problem here is something less permanent.
>
> >What versions of flash-kernel and mtd-utils are you using?
>
> flash-kernel   3.35+deb8u3
> mtd-utils      1:1.5.1-1
>
> >Do you have a flash-kernel config or use the default db entry?
>
> I haven't created any flash-kernel config files, so I assume it's using the
> default db entry.
>
> There is a /etc/default/flash-kernel file on my system, but I don't think it's
> used on QNAP devices, per Martin Michlmayr's comment:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2017/02/msg00025.html
>
> In case it's related, I also have /etc/fw_env.config, which I copied from the
> u-boot-tools qnap_ts119-219.config example file a couple weeks ago in order to
> use fw_setenv for testing some kernel boot params.
>
> >After flash-kernel tried to install 3.16.0-4, can you please try the
> >following:
> >
> > - check /proc/mtd which number is the Kernel partition
>
> $ cat /proc/mtd
> dev:    size   erasesize  name
> mtd0: 00080000 00040000 "U-Boot"
> mtd1: 00200000 00040000 "Kernel"
> mtd2: 00900000 00040000 "RootFS1"
> mtd3: 00300000 00040000 "RootFS2"
> mtd4: 00040000 00040000 "U-Boot Config"
> mtd5: 00140000 00040000 "NAS Config"
>
> > - modprobe mtdblock
>
> I think that's unnecessary in this case.  The Debian kernel config has
> CONFIG_MTD_BLKDEVS=y CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=y, and /dev/mtdblock{0..5} already exist.
>
> > - apt install memtool
>
> The memtool package doesn't exist in jessie, so I built it from the stretch
> package source.

Ah, right, I forgot.  Installing the stretch package should have worked,
too.

> > - memtool md -s /dev/mtdblockX 0+0x2800
> >
> >Then put the output of the last command in a reply to this mail.
>
> $ sudo memtool md -s /dev/mtdblock1 0+0x2800
> [...]

Without having checked every byte, this looks okish. Is this NAND or NOR
memory?

If it's NAND, can you please do:

	flash_erase /dev/mtd1 0 0

Then check if it's all 0xff, and after that do:

	nandwrite -p /dev/mtd1 /dev/zero

and check if it's all 0x00.

Best regards
Uwe