Re: flash-kernel failure during apt-get upgrade. Now what?

Hello,

On 02/23/2017 10:57 PM, Forest wrote:
> I just did an apt-get upgrade to apply the DSA-3791-1 security update from
> two days ago, and flash-kernel produced this warning for both the kernel and
> initramfs:
>
>   File does not seem to match flash data.
>
> I'm now afraid to reboot this box (a QNAP TS-119P+ NAS) in case corrupt
> kernel and initrd images have been written to flash.  The system has been
> running debian for several years now, and through dozens of kernel updates,
> I've never seen this before.  Can someone advise on how to proceed?

That message is generated in the verify step. So the data that should be
written to your device cannot be read back.

What versions of flash-kernel and mtd-utils are you using? Do you have a
flash-kernel config or use the default db entry?

After flash-kernel tried to install 3.16.0-4, can you please try the
following:

 - check /proc/mtd which number is the Kernel partition
 - modprobe mtdblock
 - apt install memtool
 - memtool md -s /dev/mtdblockX 0+0x2800

Then put the output of the last command in a reply to this mail.

Best regards
Uwe