wine-development FTBFS on Ubuntu armhf

Hi!

Dpkg in Ubuntu carries a patch introduced in dpkg 1.16.1.2ubuntu2 from
December 2011.
The changelog entry reads:

* Apply patch from Steve McIntyre to special-case armhf/armel ELF
  objects in Shlibs/Objdump.pm, so we don't get incorrect deps.

Wine-development since 1.9.9-1 has a script (sonames2elf) [1] and some
magic in debian/rules [2] that generates a list of shared libraries
that libwine should recommend and depend on.
This change in wine-development and the patch to dpkg above, together
cause wine-development to FTBFS on Ubuntu armhf, see the second part
of my report in #827770 [3], where the following error and similar are
mentioned.

dpkg-shlibdeps: error: couldn't find library libfontconfig.so.1 needed
by debian/tmp/elf.depends (ELF format: 'elf32-littlearm-sfabi';
RPATH:'')

Reverting Ubuntu's dpkg patch causes dpkg-shlibdeps to find the libraries.
Alternatively, using readelf -h I found the ELF header flags of
elf.depends and elf.recommends to be 0x5000600.  After using hte to
change these flags to 0x5000402, dpkg-shlibdeps was also able to find
the lbraries.

How can I set these flags correctly?  I have tried passing
-mfloat-abi=hard and -mhard-float to gcc from sonames2elf, but neither
had an effect.

Regards
Graham

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-wine/wine.git/tree/debian/scripts/sonames2elf