Re: [Stretch] Status for architecture qualification

On 07/06/16 19:38, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Steve McIntyre<steve@einval.com>  [2016-06-06 15:14]:
However, I will admit (again) that armel is starting to lose upstream
support in some cases. I'm tempted to suggest that Stretch should be
the last release for armel for that reason.
Which upstream problems do you see?
A big concern going forward is C++11 atomics. AIUI (unless something has changed recently) these are unimplemented on armel causing code that uses them to FTBFS. Right now very little code uses them but if a major peice of infrastructure starts using them it could put armel in a very sticky sitution.

armv4t doesn't really have good atomic instructions (there is "swp" but it has to be emulated on later architectures and i'm not sure it's enough to support the normal range of operations) . AIUI there are kernel helpers available but it would need someone with good knowlage of the subject to implement the C++11 atomics in terms of the kernel helpers.