Re: d-i on Firefly-rk3288

On 12/10/16, Diego Roversi <diegor@tiscali.it> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 23:08:13 +0200
> Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > U-Boot 2014.10-RK3288-02 (Nov 26 2014 - 09:28:44)
>>
>> This u-boot version is not coming from the SD card; probably from the
>> on-board eMMC. You may need to zero out of first few MB on the
>> eMMC. This will obviously render the OS on the eMMC non-functional.
>
> I should write on /dev/mmclblk0 ? Or should I write on a specific partition
> of the eMMC (/dev/mmcblk0p?) ?

 a boot rom is too expensive to develop to have it be capable of
understanding partitions for these kinds of low-cost processors.  so
it's been designed to load from SECTORS *not* from partions.
therefore, the SPL loader is in the first few sectors (sector 8 or
something), *NOT* on a partition.

 also when you investigate this further you'll find that the kernel
you're running has been set up to partition the drive using devicetree
specifications: certain areas of the drive are RESERVED... and you
have absolutely no idea what those are unless you happen to have read
the devicetree spec (and know where to get it.... *sigh*...).  you
need to BYPASS all of that by referencing /dev/mmcblk0.

 fairly straightfoward and logical when you think it through.

 make sure you wipe out at least 150mb (so as to trash *all* the
partitions) - i had some segfaults occur with the default 3.10 kernels
by not erasing enough data.  i only erased 10mb and it left
half-set-up partitions on the drive.  wark-wark...

 l.