Re: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 02:36:05AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> armhf
> =====
> Current port, first released with Wheezy. Due to cross-distro effort,
> this setup (ARMv7 EABI using VFPv3D-16) is the default supported
> 32-bit ARM architecture in all distros now. We've got a couple of
> kernel variants that will support just about any new devices shipping,
> given updated drivers and device tree support.

One issue with armhf is NEON support. Currently we support NEON as long
upstreams provide a runtime mechanism to use it. There are however a
couple of issues here

- Some upstreams (chromium) do neon compile-time or require neon to
  work at all (rustc)
- The amount of non-NEON armv7 hw is very minimal (dove, tragra2, ?), so
  majority of armhf users have less performance than they could
- None of the armhf buildd's have NEON support, so no NEON code can be
  run build-time (testuites etc)

Once the next armhf buildd upgrade comes around (preferrably in form of
armhf vm's running on arm64 servers), I think we should discuss make NEON a
requirement for armhf.

Riku