Re: Broadcom BCM2709, ARMv8, and missing CPU features

>  the only big advantage of dtb files (binary compiled) is *IF* the
>  decision is made to respect dtb files and treat them as inviolate
>  and supported forever without needing recompiles, you stand a
>  chance of being able to upgrade linux kernels *without* replacing
>  the dtb file.

That might be true when compared to some potential replacement of DTBs,
but when compared to what we had before DTBs, then the benefit is much
more clear: a single linux-image-armhf package which works for "all"
machines.  Personally I don't mind changing the DTB every time I change
the kernel.  Hell, that could/should be integrated with the process
which refreshes the initrd file anyway.

        Stefan