Re: ARM64 (was: Summary of the ARM ports BoF at DC16)

On 2016-07-23 18:46 +0000, Phil Endecott wrote:
> > > Affordable, usable machines are available now, e.g. the Cello
>
> Is the Cello actually available?  96boards is still saying "pre-order".

I have seen one, but that was '1st batch'. I don't know current
status, but yes I guess it's still under 'Real Soon Now'.

> And the ODROID-C2.  (Can someone add that to the list at
> https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port#Hardware.2C_emulators_and_models ?)

Do you think the 'wiki' part of that URL gives a clue, Phil?
Still, I've looked up the home page for that device and done it for you :-)

> > The Mustang board is a nice test platform because its an early ARMv8
> > board. While its ARMv8, it lacks CRC and Crypto extensions.
>
> That's interesting.  Having almost given up on any AMD ARM
> hardware ever appearing, I've been considering getting a
> Gigabyte MP30-AR0 (which I thought for a long time was
> vapourware, but it seems does really exist to buy); it's based
> on the same x-gene as the Mustang.  But this suble instruction
> set difference is worrying; will I discover in a few years that
> the baseline requirements for Debian arm64, or something
> else, exclude this device?

The baseline won't change from v8 to v8.1, but upstream bits of
software might be written to not work without those instructions, and
Debian may not have the resources to do much about this. Everyone
_should_ be supporting v8, but they may not do a good job of this and
if there isn't much hardware about which checks the
non-CRC-in-hardware & non-crypto-in-hardware code path then people may
not notice that they've broken it.

However currently Debian is building on APM hardware and it provides
(part of) the Linaro developer cloud so for the time being this is not
going to be a problem.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/