Re: Debian Jessie on QNAP TS-112P - Reboot instead of shutdown

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 09:47:04PM +0200, Helge Wiemann wrote:
> I do have "/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0030", but did not specifically follow
> your instructions you described in the bug report. If it helps you I will,
> please let me know.
>
> I am running a cron job to switch off my NAS at 11 PM. However, my issue
> (shutting down after a short boot) was not related to that, I did not see
> any particular pattern at all. This issue did still occur when I switched
> off my NAS using the power button or SSH. So I doubt either RTC or Crontab
> are the culprits.

I think you're wrong here. Reading your syslog I see the following:

 - You shut down your machine at Jul 9 22:29
 - You booted it at Jul 10 14:28
 - Log has:
 	Jul 10 14:59:37 MediaCenter systemd[1]: Starting [Cron] "00 23 * * * /sbin/poweroff".
	Jul 10 14:59:37 MediaCenter systemd[1]: Started [Cron] "00 23 * * * /sbin/poweroff".
   and in the following the machine shuts down.
 - In the following boot at Jul 10 15:00 this is not mentioned and the
   machine boots up successfully.

So my suspection is that at 14:59 the poweroff job was caught up for
because it didn't run the day before. Then at 15:00 it wasn't run,
because it already was active a minute before.

Assuming your machine still has a (more or less) accurate date in its
rtc, I'm sure the issue returns if you disable the machine before 23:00
and restart it the next day. Given that you don't have the path
/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0030/rtc maybe the driver fails to bind now
because the rtc hardware is in a strange state and so the cron daemon
doesn't notice it has to catch up for the poweroff job?

Can you provide a boot log of the supposed fixed current state?

Best regards
Uwe