Re: Thinking about a "jessie and a half" release

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 04:01:10PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:

>>> Is anybody else interested in helping? Thoughts/comments?
>
>Yes, it's a project I'm already working on ;-)  Is this project a
>candidate for a new Debian Team?

I guess so, yes. :-)

>>  2. Does it have to be called "jessie and a half"? (How much is the
>>     concept understood across users? Wouldn't it be a better idea to
>>     squeeze the "backports" concept into the name somehow?)
>
>Maybe something like jessie-fresh-unofficial?

I'm definitely *not* thinking of saying this is "unofficial" - I'm
wanting this to be blessed as an additional installation option here.

>On 4 July 2016 at 13:13, Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp> wrote:
>>
>>  Just a comment. I don't have any objection for this proposal.
>>
>>  However, not only half but also updates with some point is better
>>  to deliver value for users, I hope it'll be in Stretch cycle.
>>
>>  Recently I've read "lean software development" and it's quite
>>  impressive for me. "deliver value to users" is one of the most
>>  important thing in Debian (it means "do continuous improvement
>>  for stable"), IMO.
>
>Agreed!  Also, OpenSUSE has been doing this with their post-42.x
>release model.  Mind you, to the best of my knowledge Debian has
>always cherry picked fixes and essential hardware enablement fixes for
>the stable packages (eg: intel-microcode).  This newly proposed Debian
>project seems to be a more aggressive approach...but does it also have
>a client machine focus to the exclusion of servers, or should it serve
>both?

I'm more concerned about easy installation on new "client" x86
machines at this point, and for arm64 machines in general as they've
seen massive changes since we released jessie. I don't think x86
server machines are such an issue, but I'm open-minded if somebody
wants to argue otherwise.

"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone