Re: affordable arm boards with plenty of ram.

peter green dijo [Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:43:29PM +0100]:
> I'm looking for an arm board/box to add to my collection of buildboxes.
>
> Critera (in roughly descending order of importance):
>
> Reasonablly affordable (upper limit ~£200)
> As much ram as possible.
> Plenty of CPU power would be nice.
> A good storage interface (in order of preference SATA is better than USB3
> which is better than USB2).
> Support in Debian kernels would be nice.
> arm64 support would be nice.
>
> Currently looking at the cubox i4x4. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm curious nobody else has suggested the Banana Pi M3.

    http://www.banana-pi.org/m3.html

It has 2MB RAM only, but 8 ARM cores (A83T, so Cortex-A7), nominally
at 1.8GHz. 8GB on-board eMMC (appears as mmcblk0; the traditional SD
card interface appears as mmcblk1). It has on-board wireless
connectivity as well, and a supposedly 1Gbps Ethernet port.

I have not really used it much save for testing it. It does *not* run
on standard Linux kernels (they provide a 3.4 kernel, with the
now-famous "rootmydevice" debug roothole^Winterface open). Some users
report that submitting it to moderate loads make the thermal
throttling system shut down 4 or 8 CPU cores; probably a dissipator or
fan could help it run stably and reliably.

Greetings,