Re: orion5x housekeeping

Dear Rogério,

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> Dear Martin and others,
>
> On 2015-12-31 00:51, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>> I was looking at debian-installer and thought it would be good to see
>> if there are maintainers (and if not, at least users) for the orion5x
>> devices we supposedly support.
>
> Right.
>
>> Looking at debian-installer, I see support for:
>>
>> * Buffalo Kurobox Pro: I know various Debian people had these.  Are
>> people still using these devices?  Is Debian working?  Is the
>> installer working?
>
> I can confirm that the Kurobox Pro is working fine with testing, with
> kernels 3.16.x and with kernel 4.4.

Thanks for your feedback!
Good to hear it's working for you!

> It ceased to work for a brief period, but I was very busy with life in
> general (a costly separation from my ex-wife, very serious health
> problems with my mom etc.) and I just decided to hold the kernel at
> 3.16, while kernels 3.1{7,8,9} and early 4.x didn't work (had to use a
> serial cable to revert to a working kernel).
>
> Now, with kernel 4.4 and recent flash-kernel, everything is working fine.

I guess it's because the updated flash-kernel fixed your previous
issues with 4.x kernel.
code of Kurobox-Pro didn't changed since long before.

> I didn't test the installer, though. I may test it soon, depending on
> availability of my time and interest from other people.

Actually I'm doing some work on the installer for Linkstation
orion5x/kirkwood recently.
Hope you can help to test after I finish.

And I plan to write kernel's device tree for Kurobox/Pro.
Unfortunately, I don't have this device. If you're convenient, you can
help to test this, too.

>> Roger mentioned u-boot restrictions on the size of the kernel that we
>> broke.  Does that apply to all Linkstation devices?  Do we have to
>> drop support for all of them in stretch?
>
> Given the way that the Kurobox Pro boots (namely, grabbing everything
> from disk), I would expect fewer problems with it than with similar
> platforms.
>
> Just to be sure, I changed /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to have
> the variable MODULES set to dep instead of most, which greatly reduced
> the size of the initial ramdisk.

Yes, MODULES=dep is enough for most cases for Linkstation.

> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
> http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito
> DebianQA: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito%40ime.usp.br

Good to know you also maintain avr-evtd, which works for old powerpc
based Linkstation.
Thank you!

--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo