Re: Cannot boot jessie kernel on qemu armhf VM

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 04:45:23PM +0100, Christoph Pleger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thank you, Tixy and Len, for your suggestions, but I cannot get it to work
> yet.
>
> I took vmlinuz and initrd.gz files from here:
>
> http://ftp.debian.de/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/20150422+deb8u3/images/hd-media/
>
> and file vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb from here:
>
> http://ftp.debian.de/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/20150422+deb8u3/images/device-tree/
>
> My command line looks like this:
>
> /usr/bin/qemu-system-arm -monitor stdio -M vexpress-a15 -k de -m 512
> -no-acpi -drive file=/localhome/cpleger/armhf/jessie-armhf.img,if=sd -net
> none -kernel /localhome/cpleger/armhf/vmlinuz -initrd
> /localhome/cpleger/armhf/initrd.gz -append root=/dev/ram -name
> "jessie-armhf" -dtb /localhome/cpleger/armhf/vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb
>
> This, like all attempts before, just results in a blank VM screen.

You have to use a serial console.  These systems you are emulating do
not have graphics at all as far as I know.

This seems to work for me:

qemu-system-arm -M vexpress-a15 -k de -m 512 -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk1 -drive file=jessie-armhf.img,if=none,id=disk1 -device virtio-net-device,netdev=net0 -kernel vmlinuz -initrd initrd.gz -append "console=ttyAMA0" -name "jessie-armhf" -dtb vexpress-v2p-ca15-tc1.dtb -netdev user,id=net0 -serial stdio -monitor tcp:localhost:4444,server,nowait -nographic -device virtio-blk-device,drive=disk2 -drive file=iso-drive.img,if=none,id=disk2

I created a second disk, formatted it, and copied the netinst iso into
it so the installer can find it.  Seems to work.

You could use telnet or something else for the -serial device that might
work better (hitting control-c kills qemu which might be inconvinient,
but using tcp and telnet I had no working cursor keys so that didn't
help either).

I uysed virtio for network and disk since it is much much faster than
using SD emulation.  The disk appears as /dev/vdX in that case.

--
Len Sorensen