Re: XZ compression for the initramfs

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 1:04 AM, Alan Corey <alan01346@gmail.com> wrote:
> What about the RAM usage?  I can't even use it often on my devio.us
> account because there's shared RAM with other users.  Seems like an
> embedded system might have a problem with that too.

I don't worry about memory usage because, according to xz's manpage,
it simply can be solved by adding 'export
XZ_DEFAULTS=--memlimit=64MiB"' (or 32MiB or even lower based on your
box's spec) to your ~/.bashrc.

> On 1/3/16, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> xz compression is slow (not bzip2 slow, but still slow).  At least
>> it decompresses fast.  I would think for people running stable, the
>> compression time would not be a big deal given how infrrequent it is.
>> If you are running sid, well that could start to get annoying if you
>> don't actually need the extra compression on your system.

1. Considering lately there's monthly (if not weekly) security update
on linux kernel, it's not so "infrequent".
2. And, it's very annoying that for one "apt upgrade", the
update-initramfs may be triggered for many times, because of upgrading
other kernel related pkg such as flash-kernel / initramfs-tools.

Cheers,
Roger