Re: XZ compression for the initramfs

> Any objections/feedback?
>
> I'm wondering if there are other devices with the same issue.
> Unfortunately, I cannot remember if there's a ramdisk limit for the HP
> mv2120 but I don't think so.  The various plug devices boot from disk
> and the newer QNAP devices have 9 MB space for the ramdisk.  So I
> think it's mostly an issue with the TS-109/TS-209 and TS-409.

Size of initrd is always an issue on embedded platform. Surely XZ can
extremely reduce the size, however as I remember, it takes MUCH more
time to finish update-initramfs command.

Did you evaluate how long does it take to generate one initramfs image
on QNAP box?
Maybe I missed a kernel module that can speed up the xz compression, I
cannot finish update-initramfs within 5 minutes, which is too long for
me. So I'm curious how fast on your box.

Cheers,
Roger