things to do (WAS: arm64, ppc64el, mips64el: please provide ready-to-use VM images)

Daniel Neis:

> Linaro recently launched a "port & enhance" contest to port several
> free softwares to the arm64 platform.

Perhaps that was a year ago. Dates are not mentioned prominently. As
you pointed out, the software list is out of date.

> (https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2015/11/msg00006.html)
> i would like to get another view on how things are going and if
> could help with something.

If anyone wants to write a compiler back-end, in Lisp, there's sbcl.

Other, presumably much easier to port, Lisp/Scheme implementations are
clisp and scheme2c.

It's very unclear to me what needs doing for "arm64:libphobos-dev".
Some investigation and communication with upstream developers would be
necessary. (Of course it's always a good idea to check that nobody
else is already doing the same work.)

It's probably quite easy to get dietlibc to work on arm64. The main
thing there is finding the right way to handle, in the build system,
system calls that don't exist in arm64 though they do exist in all the
other dietlibc architectures. Writing wrappers for the missing system
calls is easy; the problem is where to put them, what to call them,
and so on.

GHC has an interesting open bug (https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/10383),
though you'd probably need arm64 hardware to work on that.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Graphs like this (https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph-quarter-big.png)
show that Debian arm64 is no longer much far behind other architectures.