Re: Kirkwood / Qnap HS-210, kernel 3.16->4.2/ udev 215->227 upgrade issue

Thanks Eric.

Could you describe a bit of what you had to do on that Seagate?
I guess I could try a few things before going after the cable...

On 2015-11-09 17:36, Eric Cooper wrote:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:38:27PM +1300, mw@wiimail.com wrote:
[...]
Today I ran the first dist-upgrade after such long time,
and that brought in kernel 4.2+68 and udev 227-2.

But now it is no longer bringing up the network interface on boot ups,
so I can't ssh in anymore.

I am not sure if the problem is the kernel not finding the usb drive, hence
not completing boot,
or perhaps the udev rules changes brought by the newer version screwing with
the net config?

The log files inside /var/log don't seem to get touched on boot attempts,
so it would seem that the kernel is not finding the USB drive?
[...]

You'll probably need a serial connection to debug this.
If you don't already have one, see:
    http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/serial/

(I don't have a QNAP device, but I just went through a similar process
of updating a Seagate Dockstar from an old pre-DTB kernel to version 4.2.)